Wesleyan Summer Grants are awarded through the Gordon Career Center to support students who are pursuing no- or low-pay career-related experiences over the summer. All undergraduate students who are actively enrolled and have not previously received a Wesleyan Summer Grant are eligible to apply.
Invisible Men Summer Grant
Capitalizing on the positive momentum created by the Black and Latino Brotherhood in the 90s, the Invisible Men organization embraced the name of the group’s annual WESfest/Student of Color Weekend. With positive reception of the annual show, the brothers came to recognize the need for an ongoing presence in student activity by men of color. With this in mind, Invisible Men began collaborative efforts with groups on and off campus to increase involvement and visibility of men of color. The group organized itself around the pillars of providing support for one another, pursuing personal growth, creating greater unity amount people of color, and enhancing success of multicultural community.
In 2015, the group embarked upon an effort to provide funding support for two experience grants with a distinctive mentoring component. The members of Invisible Men intend in this way to honor the mission of their organization and also to give back to the Wesleyan community that has supported their growth and education.
- Invisible Men Summer Experience Grants are open to rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- Applicants must be receiving need-based financial aid at the time they apply.
- Preference given to students of color, and/or first-generation college students who have shown involvement on campus.
- The IM Grant is open to all-gender identifying persons.
Criteria for Selection
Applications are evaluated on (by a committee of faculty, staff and alumni):
- The ability of the internship to enhance the student’s Wesleyan educational experience, provide new skills and/or test or broaden the student’s areas of career interest.
- The feasibility of the outlined budget.
- Written statements.
$5,000 grant is awarded to cover expenses related to the summer experience.
Still Figuring Out Your Summer Plans?
You can still apply if you have not secured your summer experience. If chosen for funding, you will have the ability to submit a revised application if your plans have changed and you have a different opportunity than what was in your original application. All revisions will be reviewed before funding is determined.
Interested in Applying?
Applications are open January 30, 2023 – February 28, 2023. Click here to learn more about the Wesleyan Summer Grants program and how to apply.